Langford Budville & Runnington

Overlooking the Vale of Taunton Deane

Contact us on info@langfordbudvillevillage.co.uk

Runnington

Runnington is a small hamlet on the River Tone, one mile north west of Wellington.  Its name, sometimes spelt Rowington, Runeton or Runnington, is uncertain but most likely it is derived from 'the running Tone'.

Runnington has existed since before the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was recorded as having 10 acres of woodland with at least 4 ploughs, 4 slaves, and a mill.  In 1837 the Tithe Map records it as having 340 acres, a fairly accurate estimate of today's acreage.  It has a population of around 80 being one of the smallest parishes in the country.

The main building in the village is the Church of St Peter and St Paul which is frequently referred to as Runnington Church to avoid confusion with the much larger St Peter's Church in Langford Budville.

The social life of this small community centres around events organised by the church and generously supported by the village.

 

There are about 32 dwellings in the village, two main farms, one fruit farm, one bed and breakfast establishment, some retired people and a number who work locally or further afield.

The village has no school and the children mostly go to either Milverton or Langford Budville Primary schools.  The nearest secondary school is in Wellington.

   

There are many good walks starting from the church which has clearly always been the centre of the village.  Most of the walks take you along the River Tone which you can cross by a small iron bridge a few minutes' walk below the church.

On the south side of the River Tone there can be seen the remains of a section of the Grand Western Canal, an unfulfilled dream to link Bristol to the English Channel.  The section planned to run from Lowdells to Taunton, started in 1810, was completed as far as Tiverton.  However the section from Tiverton to Taunton, passing through Runnington and started in 1831, was never completed and finally abandoned due to the coming of the railways.  Clearly visible can be seen the remains of the tow path, the canal and the ruins of the bargee's cottage.

   

 Susan Osborne